Listen to this super-informative Vitamin D Podcast with Tawnee over at Endurance Planet:
Show notes: We discuss the real deal with Vitamin D–yes, it’s super important, but are we over-hyping its importance and the need to supplement these days? It turns into quite the discussion! Before that we catch up with The Sock Doc on his new book, The Systems Health Care Manual, a 175+ page manual geared toward practitioners to aid in evaluating, diagnosing, and treating patients. You don’t have to be a practitioner either to benefit from this manual! Get it here. Also: We ask Steve how to find a good chiropractor and/or massage therapist? Do we need both?
On Vitamin D and other essential vitamins and nutrients:
- Vitamin D’s importance for athletes and the general population, but we take a critical look. What D actually does for us, the active form of D (and the conversion that takes place in our body for the active form of D), measuring in blood labs, optimal levels, supplementing with D and dosages, ways to get D more sun to get your D.
- Clinical history: Vitamins E & D
- Vitamin E was the big hype back in the day: people told to supplement, usually was synthetic form, led to hormonal issues, common problem associated was hip pain, with less E supplementing improvements occured
- Now, these days Vitamin D is the big hype
- A lot of experts and studies say we need to “get our Vitamin D up,” is this valid?
- Discussing normal ranges and units used, ng/ml vs. nmol/L
- What about Vitamin A? (Great for immune wellness)
- Why Steve says he’s often more inclined to prescribe Vitamin A for a client than D
- Often fear associated with Vitamin A due to potential side effects, toxicity issues, and liver issues.
- Types of Vitamin A—check the labels on your supplements to see what you are really getting. (beta carotene, palmitic acid, retinol)
- And lots more!