LISTEN TO THE WARNING SIGNS OF OVERTRAINING!
- Morning resting HR greater than 10% of normal – you may be getting sick; you’re overreaching in your training. Heart rate info here.
- Dizzy or lightheaded upon standing up – you’re blood pressure is dropping because your endocrine system is fatigued
- Cravings for sugar and/or salt – your body is running off sugar more than fat and you’re losing too much salt from all the stress
- Persistent sore throat – low antioxidant level from too much free radical damage from training too hard
- General aches and pain, relieved by exercising – you’re getting a cortisol rush, that’s not good over time
- Eyes sensitive to light – those pupils are constricting rather than dilating because your nervous system is all jacked-up
- Irritability – you’re a pain in the ass because your blood sugar is a mess
- Lack of desire to exercise – you’re burning out from all the training
- Insomnia, or waking up in the middle of the night – you’re getting a cortisol surge in the middle of the night when those levels should be very low
- Frequent night time urination (>1 time) – your hormones are under so much stress they’re not able to rest during the time they should be
- Limb twitching or jumping while falling asleep – like the sensitive eyes, your nervous system is all jacked-up
- PMS: cramping, back pain, over-emotional, breast tenderness, fatigue – I’m not going there (haha!) – More on PMS at my other site – click here.
- Eye lid spasms – “functional blepharospasm” – from mineral imbalances in your body, depleted from excess training
- Burning and/or blood shot eyes – from vitamin deficiencies, primarily B2 (riboflavin) from overtraining
- Ankles “easily turn” – those muscles and ligaments of your ankle are very susceptible to stress; next is foot, heel, or knee pain
Rest Up, Recover, and Back to Aerobic!