Thank you for your interest in the London, UK Sock Doc Training & Treatment Workshop – “Developing A Stronger, Injury-Free Athlete“. Over a course of five days we will train various skills outdoors (see below) and you will have two personalized assessment and treatment sessions with me. You will:
- Move better with less pain
- Correct metabolic and hormonal issues
- Deal with old nagging injuries
- Learn new skills and drills to help you become a more efficient athlete
- Gain a crazy amount of knowledge
- Become an overall healthier individual
- Hang out with some fun like-minded individuals
Date: May 12-17, 2015
Cost: $1,625 USD
Details and Registration here
During four of these five days we will train for several hours at various intensities, focusing on natural movement techniques which will benefit any athlete at any level. I will be teaching many of the skills and drills I have learned from the natural movement system, MovNat. I have been involved with MovNat for several years now and feel the value of the natural “real world” movement and conditioning is vital if you want to perform your best, both mentally and physically.
During two of these days I will assess and treat you per my style of health care. I use a type of manual muscle testing often referred to as applied kinesiology to determine where there are imbalances in the body, whether structural, nutritional, hormonal, or other, and then figure out natural ways to correct these imbalances. Often I am using some form of trigger-point therapy (myofascial release), or nutrient therapy to make these corrections, along with dietary, exercise, and lifestyle modifications. Many of the techniques I use are those I have developed over my past fifteen years in practice. I can honestly say that not once has a patient ever said, “I’ve had this done before”, and most of my patients travel several hours to see me. I am not the type of doctor that someone sees weekly, or even monthly, so you will get a lot out these sessions – see the testimonials below from past workshop participants.
Prior to MovNat, my training was primarily in endurance, specifically Ironman triathlons. I have completed 16 Ironman races, six of which were at the World Championship in Kona, HI. The other triathlons, road races, cycling events, and trail races I have competed in over the past 20+ years is – well, many. I no longer race triathlons, for a variety of reasons, but focus my training on trail running and MovNat. I am a Level II MovNat Certified Trainer (MCT) and also attended the very intense four-day Level III training program. I have been to three multi-day MovNat workshops/retreats, two in West Virginia for five days each as well as a seven day workshop in Thailand.
Combined, MovNat training fits in well with my practice since the skills are, well – natural. They enhance and support the treatment and will make you a more fit and healthy individual – and athlete. I’ve had many discussions and training sessions with MovNat’s founder, Erwan Le Corre, and his master instructor, Vic Verdier, regarding this unique compatibility. You can also read their testimonials.
The overall goal of the workshop is to get people (you) moving and feeling better – even if you, like me, choose to specialize in a sport. The MovNat skills will help develop your strength, balance, and fitness, and the treatment will hone in on any imbalances (structural and nutritional) you have which are affecting your health and fitness. Even if you don’t have an injury, you most likely have imbalances that are hindering your performance, and you most likely don’t know about them or are “used to” feeling a certain way every day.
The Treatment: For this workshop I will see each participant for a more focused movement-type treatment (though often I’m able to address other issues such as metabolic, hormonal, or immune problems), for approximately 90 minutes between Tuesday and Thursday. Then again, either on Friday or Saturday after training, I will see you for a 30-45 minute re-assessment of things that were treated previously and anything else that needs to be checked out.
The Training: We will train ten MovNat techniques over four days, (Thursday-Sunday), with a slight emphasis on endurance: 1) walking, 2) running, 3) jumping, 4) balancing, 5) crawling, 6) climbing, 7) lifting, 8) carrying, 9) throwing, and 10) catching. Keeping in line with MovNat’s “there is no set schedule” you should be prepared for all of these skills and they will be adjusted according to the level and interest of the group. For more on these skills check out MovNat’s website.
If you’re interested in seeing me for further treatment, (after the workshop ends, or before it starts), please schedule that with me prior to arriving. I have a very long wait list (over six months) for new patients so this workshop essentially gets you in sooner without paying extra for those appointment slots, and there will not be available slots once the workshop starts.
The Schedule for the London Workshop:
- Tuesday OR Wednesday OR Thursday: Initial individual treatment sessions per scheduled time
- Thursday: We train from 3pm-6pm.
- Friday: We start training at 8am and will train for approximately five hours until 1pm. There will be a slight 15-20 min break during this session. Then I will see those for a treatment session who were seen on Tuesday or Wednesday.
- Saturday: We start training at 8am and will train for approximately five hours until 1pm. There will be a slight 15-20 min break during this session. Then I will see those for a treatment session who were seen on Wednesday or Thursday.
- Sunday we will be training non-stop from approximately 8-10am. After a meal together, the workshop will be concluded.
*Please note that food and lodging expenses are your own responsibility.
What you should expect: You should expect to train several hours per day, at different intensities. Most, if not all of, the training will be outside (weather permitting) and you should be prepared for any weather condition.
What I expect: I don’t expect elite athletes, so don’t feel like you need to be at the high-end of fitness. But we will train a good amount, and at times it will be, and should be, difficult. There will be some high intensity training, lots of aerobic-type training, and plenty of strength and balance training using various movement patterns. For this London Workshop, you should be able to run on a trail at a comfortable pace for at least 90 minutes with no food or water. How fast? You should be able to run at least six miles in one hour on a single-track trail. However, we will not actually be running for this prolonged period of time. On the final day (Sunday) we will be training for 120 minutes but it will not be consistent running. If you’re unsure of your fitness in this or other areas, please ask. If you’re injured and can’t move a specific way due to the injury, please let me know now. You don’t want to participate if you’re unable to perform a lot of the training. Yes, I will help you move better and heal up injuries, but if you’re dealing with a bad injury then this isn’t the time to for me to address that. Again, if you’re not sure please ask. You should also be trying (or able) to train and run in minimalist footwear – if not barefoot. If you’re not comfortable doing this yet, that’s okay, but please start!
How to Register:
Registration forms can be found by clicking on the respective link above. If you have any questions please email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the word “Workshop” in the subject line. Previous workshops have sold out.
* I had the good fortune to participate in the September workshop with MovNat principles and treatments by SockDoc. I can say without reservation that Dr. Steve is a huge resource for any athlete and can coach you into better habits as part of a “big picture” vision toward improved health. He was able to design routines that kept our group both smiling and groaning, while we figured out our own imbalances and worked through them. Three days of workouts produced a hurts-so-good feeling and were very challenging, while allowing new competencies to develop in a supportive environment. Treatments were comprehensive, educational and effective at keeping us all running smoothly through a fast paced workshop which provided as much information as we could handle. Sock Doc practices what he teaches, as evidenced by being able to teach to a group of 6 athletes, while treating them all daily, and still being able to complete the MovNat workouts himself. He is both an endurance machine and a good primal chef. Our group had a great time, thanks so much! ~ Carl B., RN
* The Sock Doc Training and Treatment Workshop was fantastic. World class treatment followed by world class training. I was amazed at how quickly he discovered what was going on with my knees. Post treatment I had full range of motion in whole body rotation and hip extension. The next three days we put my body to the test with very functional and fun exercises. I did great, felt great. I would highly recommend attending. This combination can’t be found anywhere! ~ Brett. M., DC
* Sock-doc rules. What more can I say? Having had the life changing experience of being treated by him, coupled with awesome MovNat training – as the single female in the group, I have to say I am still smiling. Not only did the MovNat skills teach me how to better use my body, it convinced me to continue to push past my perceived limits. Add in humor, sarcasm, thorough but appropriately paced teaching and amazingly encouraging men to train alongside! I look forward to more training in future years! ~ Tammy M. from Vancouver, BC
* Overall an excellent and high quality workshop worth the trip from overseas. (I am currently living in the UK and got to know the SockDoc website only a few months ago so jumped onto the opportunity of a workshop and did not mind flying 8 hours and was not disappointed quite the contrary!) I really enjoyed the combination of personal consultation to analyze my muscle imbalances / diet issues as well as learning MovNat exercises. Steve’s background as an endurance athlete and chiropractor makes him very well suited to give excellent advice on a variety of topics, (muscle imbalances, diet, endurance and strength training, MovNat exercises and barefoot running), on how to achieve sustainable health and fitness. I learned a lot and my only regret is not to have asked enough questions. ~ V.G. from London, UK
* Dr. Gangemi’s workshop has definitely transformed the way I look at training. The full-body movements that I learned continue to provide more strength, flexibility, and balance. I love going outside and using the natural movement techniques. I look at park or trail with new eyes — everything is now something to climb, jump, balance, or lift. I’m on my way to becoming Tarzan. ~ Matt M. from Raleigh, NC